Thursday, September 07, 2006

BACK TO SCHOOL IN THE 1960s

It's "back to school time" for most kids. I always dreaded having to go back to school as young boy. The only good thing about it was going shopping with mom and buying all new school supplies. I always loved searching for the best-looking "school box" I could find. Anyone here old enough to remember what "school boxes" are?

A
school box (pic courtesy of Secret Fun Blog) was simply a cardboard box with a lid on it. Inside these boxes you would store your pencils, erasers, crayons, and other miscellaneous supplies - like Spook Stories cards. What made school boxes special though were the graphics that were adhered to the side panels. This is what would make a school box either cool-looking or completely dorky-looking. Unfortunately, and most surprisingly, is that to the best of my knowledge there was never a monster themed school box made back in the 60s. And considering that monsters were all the rage back then, one can only wonder why this never happened? What a missed opportunity! Someday, I will use my Photoshop prowess and create my own 1960s monster school box!

Not to worry though, school supplies back in the 1960s still had plenty of character and some were all about the monsters!

Let's review just how monstrous and cool a 6 yr old boy could look with these vintage school supplies from the 1960s:

Let's start off with a bang. It doesn't get any better than this! Monster 3-ring note binders:



(Frankenstein and Dracula 3 ring binders made by Hasbro. Wolf Man not shown.)

One would never be caught going back to school without a #2 pencil! So what good is a pencil without a sharpener to sharpen it with?




And while your at it, why not outfit your sharp #2 pencil with these cool-looking monster pencil accessories?


(pencils shown are from the 1990s)

And now that you have your "pencil thing" together, you'll need to something to write on like this 1960s monster tablet! BTW, I just scored this vintage tablet off of eBay. Yipeee!



And finally, what's going back to school without bringing a brand new lunchbox to crack bullies over the head with?



This one is from the 1970s. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm being fraudulent here.







4 Comments:

Blogger Todd Franklin said...

Great post! Monsters usually went to school with me usually in form of FM magazine or a t-shirt.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved those binders! Made school a little more fun.

8:39 AM  
Blogger DonHo57 said...

Those binders were awesome! I usually always had a copy of FM on me as well, and was always drawing something monstrously appropriate to adorn my composition books and aggravate my teachers.

11:25 AM  
Blogger DonHo57 said...

I should have mentioned your lunchbox photos have me ghouling....I mean, grueing....er, drooling....that's it!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home